Sunday, January 23, 2011

Madame G's NYC Wedding

I decided that it would be most appropriate for my first contribution to this blog to be about my own wedding that took place last August. Unlike most brides, I did not come into wedding planning with a set "theme." Instead, I found it best to find the venues first and then let everything inspire me from there.

The church (Our Lady of Peace, NYC):


The reception venue (Guastavino's, NYC):



I ended up choosing chocolate brown, blue, and bronze for my colors since they were prevalent in both of these spaces, though I made sure that they appeared throughout the wedding in very subtle ways so that it wasn't necessarily obvious what my "colors" were.

The reception venue, by the way, is underneath the Queensboro Bridge in Manhattan. The brick work seen in the ceiling vaults was done by a famous Spanish architect named Rafael Guastavino whose designs are found in many NY Beax-Arts buildings. Because of this, I pulled in subtle vintage elements, seen most expressly in the script I used for all printed matter like invites, save the dates, place cards, etc. For the cocktail reception, I hinted at some Art Deco designs in the floral arrangements, which I will discuss in a future blog entry!

I opted for creamy orchids for the dinner table centerpieces with some light greenish-blue succulents poking through the arrangements. I also alternated between high and low centerpieces to create a nice rhythm in the room:


Oh, and since the lighting people were able to change the space's colors throughout the night at no extra charge, I decided to switch to a twilight blue color for dinner so that it would feel more like a sky canopy (also the blue *was* one of my wedding colors, afterall!)

Enjoy some more pictures!
































Wedding Dress: Monique Lhuillier
Bridesmaids Dresses: Priscilla of Boston
Flowers: L'Oasis
Photography: Love More Photo
Reception Site/Catering: Guastavino's

No comments:

Post a Comment